The film maker Ilford held over 50% of the UK's 35mm market with Sportsman cameras in its heyday (the 1960s). Nowadays it's mainly known as maker of b&w film. In earlier decades it offered cameras, many made by other camera makers like Dacora, AGI or Kershaw-Soho.
Previously known as Britannia Works, the company was founded in Ilford, UK during 1879 by Alfred Hugh Harman. Britannia Works initially began making photographic plates and in 1902 it took the name of the town to become Ilford Limited, despite the objections of the local council. In the 1960s the company was owned by Ciba, and the owner merged it with its other film makers, the French Lumière and the Swiss Tellko. Together they were the Ilford Group. In 1983, Ilford headquarters was moved to Mobberley, Cheshire.
In 1989, Ilford was acquired by the USA-based International Paper company and the two companies were merged in 1990 to become Ilford Anitec. In 1996, the sales and admin offices were also moved from London to Mobberley.
2004 witnessed Ilford Anitec driven to receivership. The UK site was subject to a management buyout, which resulted in the formation of Harman Technology Ltd in February 2005. The company, now traded as Ilford Photo, produces high quality monochrome photographic products. The Swiss part of the company was bought by the Oji Paper Company of Japan in July 2005 and produces inkjet products under the name Ilford Imaging Switzerland GmbH.
In 2011 worked with Walker Cameras in order to produce a 5x4 sheet film pinhole camera called Harman Titan Pinhole it was bundled in what is called Ilford Pinhole Photography Kit which includes the camera along with 10 sheets of DELTA 100 film, 10 sheets of Ilford Direct Positive paper and a exposure calculator. After displaying many prototypes at trade shows a 8x10 version of the TiTAN became available in March of 2013.
Film, Paper and Darkroom
For Ilford film products refer to Ilford film.
Ilford Photo is a maker of photographic films, paper, and chemicals with facoties in the UK.
Ilford is reknown worldwide for its black-and-white films and papers, as well as its range of Ilfochrome and Ilfocolor color printing materials. Ilfochrome was formerly called Cibachrome, developed in partnership with Swiss company Ciba-Geigy.
Formerly, it published the Ilford Manual Of Photography, a comprehensive manual of everything photographic, including the optics, physics and chemistry of photography, along with recipes for many developers.
image by Martin Taylor (Image rights)
- Ilford Advocate
- Ilford Electric CR
- Ilford Electric L
- Ilford Electric SR
- Ilford KI Monobar
- Ilford Sportsman
- Ilford Sportsman 300
- Ilford Sportsman 300L
- Ilford Sportsman Auto
- Ilford Sportsman Auto RF
- Ilford Sportsman F
- Ilford Sportsman Manumatic
- Ilford Sportsman Prontor 125
- Ilford Sportsmaster
- Ilford Sprite 35
- Ilford Sprite Rapid Flash
- Ilford Witness, an advanced 35mm rangefinder camera, today very rare
- 35mm "Black&White" disposable cameras
|Ilford Sprite 127|
image by Paul Analog (Image rights)
- Ilford Craftsman
- Ilford Envoy
- Ilford Ilfoflex
- Ilford Ilfomatic Compact 25 (Agilux Agimatic)
- Ilford Ilfomatic Universal 50
- Ilford Ilfomatic Universal 50C
- Ilford Ilfomatic Universal Flash
- Ilford Imp
- Ilford Monarch
- Ilford Monorail
- Ilford Pixie
- Ilford Prentice
- Ilford Sporti and Super Sporti series
- Ilford Sportina Rapid series
- Ilford Sportsman 126
- Ilford Sportsman Instant series
- Ilford Sportsman C Instant
- Ilford Sportsman E Instant
- Ilford Sportsman R Instant
- Ilford Sprite 127
- IlfordSprite Rapid Flash
- Harman TiTAN 4x5 - 2011
- Harman TiTAN 8x10 - 2013
- Ilford Obscura Pure pinhole
|Adams & Co. | Agilux | Aldis | APeM | Aptus | Artima | Barnet Ensign | Beard | Beck | Benetfink | Billcliff | Boots | British Ferrotype | Butcher | Chapman | Cooke | Corfield | Coronet | Dallmeyer | Dekko | De Vere | Dixons | Dollond | Elliott | Gandolfi | Gnome | Griffiths | G. Hare | Houghtons | Houghton-Butcher | Hunter | Ilford | Jackson | Johnson | Kentmere | Kershaw-Soho | Kodak Ltd. | Lancaster | Lejeune and Perken | Lizars | London & Paris Optic & Clock Company | Marion | Marlow | Meagher | MPP | Neville | Newman & Guardia | Pearson and Denham | Perken, Son and Company | Perken, Son & Rayment | Photopia | Purma | Reid & Sigrist | Reynolds and Branson | Ross | Ross Ensign | Sanderson | Sands & Hunter | Shackman | Shew | Soho | Standard Cameras Ltd | Taylor-Hobson | Thornton-Pickard | Underwood | United | Watkins | Watson | Wynne's Infallible | Wray|
- Ilford Chronology at Photo-Memorabilia
- Holliman, Andrew J. Faces, People and Places: The Cameras of Ilford Ltd., 1899 to 2005. ISBN 0-9545342-1-2
- Ilford History at Ilford page
- Ilford Sportsman Cameras on Maurice Fisher's Photomemorabilia
- Other Ilford Cameras on Maurice Fisher's Photomemorabilia
- Ilford page at Collection G. Even's site (in French)
- Illord Advocate PDF manual from OrphanCameras.com
- Ilford Craftsman PDF manual from OrphanCameras.com
- Ilford Ilfoflex PDF manual from OrphanCameras.com
- Ilford Sportsman / Sportsmaster PDF manual from OrphanCameras.com