The MZ-7 (ZX-7 in the USA) is a autofocus 35mm SLR camera from Pentax introduced in 1999 as a succesor of the MZ-5/5n. The MZ-7 camera body is available in a silver/black and black/black colour, while the ZX-7 is only available in silver/black colour.
This camera was an advanced amateur camera, with metallic lens mount, and uses the KAF2 mount. The speed selector dial form the MZ-5 was removed and repalced with a Mode selection dial with 7 program modes; B, and M
It has an electronic vertical traveling metal focal plane shutter with speeds from 30 to 1/4000 of a second. The self-timer is electronic with a delay of approx 12 sec.
It was replaced by the MZ-6/ZX-L in 2001
- Exposure modes include picture mode (portrait, landscape, action, night and closeup), program mode, Av, Tv modes, metered manual mode, bulb and TTL flash.
- The auto focus has 3 points and spot focus modes in single predictive and manual modes.
- An AF illuminator is also available for improved low light focusing.
- The meter has a six segment TTL cell with a range of 0 to 21 EV at (ASA 100, 50mm f/1.4), and can be set for DX-coded film speeds from 25 to 5000 ISO or manual speeds of 6 to 6400.
- Exposure compensation can be adjusted ± 3 EV at ½ steps.
- Three shot auto bracketing is also available in ½ EV steps.
- The built in pop up flash has a GN of 11 and has red eye reduction.
- The finder uses a matte focusing screen with a 92% field of view and a 0.7x magnification.
- A Panorama mode exists, which masks the edges of the picture for an image of 13x36mm. Blinders in the viewfinder preview the result.
- The motorized film transport is able to travel at up to 2 fps in consecutive mode.
- It is powered by two CR2 battery or the optional grip FG with 4AA batteries
- Year of launch: 1999
- Manufacturer: Pentax
- Type: single lens reflex camera
- Lens mount: Pentax KAF2
- Also accepts KAF, KA, and K-mount lenses; autofocus possible with KA-and K-mount lenses with AF adapter; does not operate power zoom lenses
- Film type: 35mm film with speeds of 25 to 5000 ISO, with auto DX, 6 to 6400 ISO manual
- Shutter: Focal plane shutter with speeds from 30 to 1/2000 sec. B, 2 to 1/2000 sec manual. Flash Sync 1/30 to 1/100
- Metering: silicon photo cell. Six-segment TTL metering coupled with lens and focus info; range: EV 0 to EV 21 (at ISO 100 and f/1.4); exposure compensation selectable, +/-3 EV (1/2 EV steps); AE Lock; f/stops and shutter speeds selectable in half step increments
- Focusing: autofocus. Focusing System: TTL phase matching three point (wide area) AF; single shot AF with AF Lock and Continuous predictive focus, automatically activated; manual focus with confirmation signal; AF detection range EV -1 to EV 18 (ISO 100 at f/1.4)
- Viewfinder: Penta-mirror type; 92% field of view; 0.8x magnification; fixed bright matte focusing screen with LED aperture and shutter speed display. Rubber eyecup provided; mechanical blackout type panorama frame
- Programs: Av, M, P and TV modes - 7 program modes
- Flash: Built-in, Guide number 11 - slow synch and automatic daylight synch; discharge level automatically adjusted; redeye reduction mode selectable
- Film Transport Motorized advance up to 2fps and rewind (mid roll rewind possible)
- Self timer, multi exposure are possible
- Power: 2x 3v CR2 battery lithium battery or Battery grip FG
- Dimensions: approx 135.5 × 92 × 63.5mm (5.3x3.6 x2.5")
- Weight: 395g (13.9 oz)
- Other: Electronic cable release F or infrared remote controller (E, F or G); optional Data Back FG