|Samyang 8mm Fisheye in Canon EOS mount|
image by Stephan Klassen (Image rights)
Samyang Optics Co., Ltd. is a lens maker in Masan (Korea), established in 1972. It made several lenses for other companies' brands. Its 500mm manual focus mirror lenses were widespread, sold under several brands and badged "Made in Korea". All Sears lenses "Made in Korea" were made by Samyang. German distributor Foto Walser's "Walimex, made in Korea" lenses are also Samyang products. In the USA Samyang lenses are branded Rokinon, marketed by the agency EBI.
Samyang offered manual focus tele lenses, mirror lenses and tele zoom lenses for the T-mount, as well as its SCV series of lenses for survey cameras. In 2004 it was merged with the Japanese CCTV optical devices maker Seikou.
Specialties of Samyang's product palette:
- Samyang 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC
- Samyang 16mm f/2.0 ED AS CS UMC <== only APS-C !!!
- Samyang 16mm F/2.2 ED AS UMC CS <== only APS-C !!! video-optimized
- Samyang 24mm f/1.4 ED AS IF UMC
- Samyang 24mm f/1.5 ED AS IF UMC <== video-optimized
- Samyang 35mm f/1.4 AS UMC
- Samyang 35mm f/1.5 AS UMC <== video-optimized
- Samyang 85mm f/1.4 AS IF UMC
- Samyang 85mm f/1.5 AS IF UMC <== video-optimized
Other fasties are offered for CSCs
- Samyang 8mm f/2.8 UMC Fish-eye <== only APS-C
- Samyang 16mm f/2.0 ED AS UMC CS <== only APS-C
Another specialty were cheap old-style long-focus lenses with fixed aperture.
- Samyang 1:5,6/330 mm
- Samyang 1:5,6/440 mm