|image by Tsutomu Otsuka (Image rights)|
As digital cameras came to dominate photography, by 2006 the selection of 35mm film SLRs sold by Nikon dwindled away to just two models. The Nikon F6 was a superb, professional, autofocus SLR. The Nikon FM10 (like the autoexposure FE10) was a distinctly plasticky amateur model introduced in the mid 1990s, with manual focus and manual film transport. Yet this back-to-basics appeal for traditionalists or students of film photography has kept it on the market into 2015.
Unlike the F6, the FM10 is not manufactured by Nikon. It is actually made by Cosina (derived from that company's CT1 Super), and so is a sister to other Cosina-made "back to basics" SLRs such as the Vivitar V4000s or Ricoh KR-5 Super II. However the FM10 is the only one of these accepting Nikon F-mount lenses. The FM10 also adds a meter-activation button to the side of the lens mount, a multiple-exposure option, and a depth-of-field preview lever.
- Type: 35mm SLR with focal plane shutter and TTL metering system
- Film Format: 35mm film, 24 x 36 mm
- Lens Mount: Nikon F Mount
- Shutter: Vertically moving metal focal plane shutter "B", 1 -1/2000sec.
- Self-Timer: Mechanical self-timer with 10 sec shutter release delay
- Viewfinder: Field of view covers 92% horizontally and vertically
- Magnification: 0.84X (with 50 mm f1.4 standard lens)
- Viewfinder Display:
- Red " +" mark LED: Over exposure warning
- Green "O" mark LED: Correct exposure indication
- Red" -" mark LED: Under exposure warning
- Focusing: Split-image / microprism type surrounded by matte field
- Exposure Metering: TTL center-weighted full aperture exposure measuring system. By pressing Exposure Measurement Button or Shutter Release Button
- Metering Range: EV2 - 19 (ISO 100. f2.0, 1 sec. - f16, 1/2000 sec.)
- Flash Synchronization: Standard ISO type hotshoe contact on the Accessory-shoe.
- Synchronization speed: 1/125 or lower.
- Film Advance: By single lever-action with 135 degrees, winding angle and 30 standoff angle. Shutter Release Button is interlocked with the advance lever stored
- Film Rewind: By film rewind button and film rewind crank
- Frame Counter: Additive type with auto reset by opening the back cover
- Other Functions: Multiple Exposure, Preview Lever
- Film Speed Range: ISO 25 - 3200 by 1/3 steps
- Power Source: Two 1.5V Alkaline batteries (LR44) or Silver batteries (SR44)
- Dimensions: 139mm (5.5 in.) (W) x 86mm (3.4 in.) (H) x 53mm (2.0 in.) (D) mm
- Weight: 420g
- Nikon FM10 instruction manual - English at Mike Butkus' Orphan Cameras
- Nikon FM10 product page from Nikon USA
|Nikon 35mm SLR Cameras|
|Nikkorex F | Nikon EL2 | Nikon EM | Nikon F | Nikon F2 | Nikon F3 | Nikon F4 | Nikon F5 | Nikon F6 | Nikon F50 | Nikon F55 | Nikon F60 | Nikon F65 | Nikon F70 | Nikon F75 | Nikon F80 | Nikon F90 | Nikon F90X | Nikon F100 | Nikon F-301 | Nikon F-401 | Nikon F-401S | Nikon F-401X | Nikon F-501 | Nikon F-601 | Nikon F-601M | Nikon F-801 | Nikon F-801s | Nikon FA | Nikon FE | Nikon FE2 | Nikon FE10 | Nikon FG | Nikon FG-20 | Nikon FM | Nikon FM2 | Nikon FM2n | Nikon FM3A | Nikon FM10|
|Nikomat / Nikkormat|
|EL | EL2 | ELW | FS | FT | FT2 | FT3 | FTN|