Despite its name, the B Pearlette has nothing in common with the strut-folding Pearlette. It is a cheaper camera, self-erecting with a folding bed. The body has a sharp octagonal profile. There is a folding frame finder attached to the side, with a cross at the front and four prongs indicating the field of view for 3×4cm exposures. The film is advanced by a key at the top right, as seen by the photographer holding the camera vertically. There is a single strap lug at the top left. The back is hinged to the bottom and contains two red windows. There is a nameplate attached to the top of the lens standard, marked B. Pearlette or Pearlette. B, depending on the examples.
The shutter is an everset Primer giving B, 25, 50, 100 speeds, selected by an index at the top. The shutter plate is black, marked Primer at the top and ROKUOH-SHA at the bottom. The lens is a simple meniscus and the aperture scale is at the bottom, marked U.S. with 16, 32, 64 settings (these are Uniform Scale apertures, corresponding to f/16, f/22 and f/32). (A camera with a brighter US 8 lens has been reported, but this is unconfirmed.)
The camera was briefly advertised from October to December 1935, and was featured in the new products column of the November issue of Asahi Camera. The advertisement in Photo-Times December 1935 lists the camera as the B Pearlette, for ¥9.50 (about half the price of the regular Pearlette). It is said that an accessory brilliant finder was available for ¥0.65.
- B. Pearlette: examples pictured in McKeown, p.544, in Sugiyama, item 1148, in Asami, p.52 of Kurashikku Kamera Senka no.10, in Kameari, p.13 of Camera Collectors' News no.11, and in this page at Asacame. Pearlette. B: examples pictured in Sugiyama, item 1147, in Asami, p.51 of Kurashikku Kamera Senka no.10, in this page at Neco's camera collection, and observed in an online auction.
- Brief mention in Asami, p.52 of Kurashikku Kamera Senka no.10.
- Kokusan kamera no rekishi, p.338. Kameari, p.4 of Camera Collectors' News no.11, says that the official company history Shashin to tomo ni hyaku-nen and the book Nihon kamera no rekishi give the release date as October 1936 by mistake.
- Advertisement reproduced in Kokusan kamera no rekishi, p.82. See also the October 1935 advertisement reproduced in Asami, p.52 of Kurashikku Kamera Senka no.10.
- Kameari, p.7 of Camera Collectors' News no.11.
- Asahi Camera (アサヒカメラ) editorial staff. Shōwa 10–40nen kōkoku ni miru kokusan kamera no rekishi (昭和10–40年広告にみる国産カメラの歴史, Japanese camera history as seen in advertisements, 1935–1965). Tokyo: Asahi Shinbunsha, 1994. ISBN 4-02-330312-7. Item 171.
- Asami Takashi (浅見高史). "Konica history 7. Pāretto." (Konica history 7. パーレット. Pearlette.) Kamera Rebyū: Kurashikku Kamera Senka (カメラレビュー クラシックカメラ専科) / Camera Review: All about Historical Cameras no.10, September 1987. No ISBN number. Konishiroku kamera no rekishi (小西六カメラの歴史, special issue on Konishiroku). Pp.48–52.
- Kameari Hisao (亀有久雄). "Pāretto kamera no hensen" (パーレットカメラの変遷, Evolution of the Pearlette). In Camera Collectors' News no.11 (May 1978). Nishinomiya: Camera Collectors News-sha.
- Lewis, Gordon, ed. The History of the Japanese Camera. Rochester, N.Y.: George Eastman House, International Museum of Photography & Film, 1991. ISBN 0-935398-17-1 (paper), 0-935398-16-3 (hard). P.49 (brief mention only).
- McKeown, James M. and Joan C. McKeown's Price Guide to Antique and Classic Cameras, 12th Edition, 2005-2006. USA, Centennial Photo Service, 2004. ISBN 0-931838-40-1 (hardcover). ISBN 0-931838-41-X (softcover). P.544.
- Sugiyama, Kōichi (杉山浩一); Naoi, Hiroaki (直井浩明); Bullock, John R. The Collector's Guide to Japanese Cameras. 国産カメラ図鑑 (Kokusan kamera zukan). Tokyo: Asahi Sonorama, 1985. ISBN 4-257-03187-5. Item 1147–8.
- B Pearlette at the bottom of a page on Konishiroku 127 film cameras at Asacame
- Pearlette B at Neco's camera collection, with other pictures here
|Konishiroku prewar and wartime cameras ( )|
|plate||hand cameras||stereo hand cameras||strut folders||box||telephoto||SLR|
|Idea (original) | Idea A | Idea B | Idea Snap | Idea No.1 | Idea (metal) | Lily (original) | Lily (horizontal) | Lily (metal) | Tropical Lily | Noble | Ohca | Sakura Palace | Sakura Pocket Prano | Sakura Prano||Idea Binocular | Sakura Binocular Prano||Minimum Idea | Idea Spring | Korok||Champion | Cherry | Sakura Army | Sakura Honor | Sakura Navy||Idea Telephoto||Idea Reflex (1910 and 1911) | Idea Reflex (1932) | Neat Reflex | Sakura Reflex Prano|
|rollfilm||folders||box or collapsible||TLR|
|Pearlette | Special Pearlette | B Pearlette | Pearl (for plates and rollfilm) | Pearl No.2 | Pearl (Year 8) | Baby Pearl | Semi Pearl | Sakura Palace||Record | Sakura (box) | Sakura (bakelite)||Sakura-flex|