|PX625 cells (front center) compared to|
AA batteries (rear), 386 mercury (left),
image by AWCam (Image rights)
The PX625 (also referred to by other names such as PX13) is a small button-shaped 1.35 volt mercury battery, whose case has a wider lip surrounding its negative pole. As other mercury-based batteries, its production and sale is banned in most countries, though some are still made in Russia.
Before the manufacture of mercury batteries was banned, a large number of cameras and light meters were designed to use PX625 cells. Mercury batteries produce a constant and reliable voltage, so light meters were often designed without any voltage regulation in their circuitry. Use of other battery chemistries (such as alkaline or lithium) does not provide the same constant voltage, and will give erratic meter readings and exposures unless preventative measures are taken.
Devices requiring PX625
Many cameras and light meters were designed for and require a 625 mercury cell: list of cameras and list of exposure meters. Some cameras and exposure meters were designed for 625 sized cells but include voltage regulation circuitry and thus do not require a PX625 to function properly (list of devices), and so can use the higher-voltage (and less voltage-stable) alkaline (PX625A, 1.5v) or Silver-Oxide (S625PX, 1.55v) cells. Devices without regulation circuitry (or some method of compensating for other voltages) can use Zinc-Air type cells made especially - with the correct 1.35v potential - to replace the mercury cells.
- Suggestions from Rick Oleson (based on ideas from Leon Schoenfeld) to make classic cameras give acceptable meter readings using modern alkaline batteries.
- The mercury cell problem and its solutions (PDF file) by F. de Gruijter. Also discusses PX675 and other mercury batteries.
- Notes on using zinc-air hearing aid batteries to replace mercury cells part 1 and part 2 from Silverbased
- The mercury oxide battery problem, at Konica SLR system, providing information about the PX625 and PX675 battery that is not specific to Konica models
- Russian mercury px625 battery Seller of PX625 mercury batteries.