Dolly Vest Pocket
|Dolly Vest Pocket in a Certo catalogue. (Image rights)|
The Dolly Vest Pocket is a folding camera for 127 film made in the 1930s by Certo in Germany. Its diminutive size (115mm x 85mm x 32mm when folded), large negative size, and sharp lens make it a surprisingly good performer.
The example pictured has extra lines on the viewfinder lens, for 3x4cm images when using a half-frame mask. Therefore the camera back has two red windows. The back door part with the red windows is also removable so that the camera can be used with focusing screen and plate holders instead. The holders locate the surface of the plate further back than roll film inside the camera would be. There is therefore a lever under the front standard that moves the lens backward approximately 4 mm for use with plates. This arrangement can also be seen on some examples of the Super Sport Dolly. Most examples of the Dolly VP camera have a normal hinged back door, for roll film only.
The image size with the full-frame mask is 4x6 cm (precisely 39 x 60 mm); the plate holders would hold a plate 4.5 cm wide, but the image area, defined by the opening in the camera back, would still be only approximately 4x6 cm.
|Certo Dolly (4×6 cm)|
image by Dustin McAmera (Image rights)
- Type: self-erecting folding camera
- Manufacturer: Certo
- Years of launch: 1930s
- Film: type 127 film rolls, or 4.5x6 cm plates/sheet film
- Lens: Schneider-Kreuznach Xenar 1:3.5 F=7cm, Meyer Trioplan 1:3.5 F=7.5 cm, Friedrich Coronar Anastigmat 1:3.5 F=7.5 cm
- Shutter: Compur with speeds from 1 sec. to 1/300 sec. plus T and B mode, or Pronto everset 1/25 sec. to 1/100 sec. plus T and B.
- Focusing: 1.4 metre to infinity by focusing ring around shutter, or focusing lever for simple bellows extension focusing
- Viewfinders: collapsible reverse Galilean optical finder with additional frame bars for smaller format
- Frame size: exchangeable frames for 4x6 cm and 4x3 cm
|German, French & Italian Cameras using 127 film|
|3×4||rigid||Bella | Dreivier | Futuro | Gewirette|
Kolibri | Parvola | Pupille | Ranca | Reporter
|folding||Baby Ikonta | Baldi | Dolly | Goldi | Gucki|
Ingo | Korelle | Makinette | Vollenda
|4x4||Navax | Paxina Electromatic | Rothlar|
|4x6.5||Billy | Bob | Dolly | Goldi|
Korelle | Panta | Piccolette | Rio
|TLR||see German TLRs|
|3×4||rigid||Fotobaby | Lynx | Super-Boy|
|folding||Derby-Lux | Elax|
|pseudo TLR||Auteuil | Longchamp|
|4×4||rigid||Impera | Marly | Pari-Fex | Rubi-Fex | Top|
|3x4||Comet | Comet III | Cometa | Euralux|
Ibis | Maxima | Piccolo | Tanit
|4x4||Comet | Euralux | Ibis|
|4x6.5 & other||Alfa | Delta | Relex | Rolet | Rondine|