|image by perminna (Image rights)|
image by Hans Kerensky (Image rights)
The Weltax was a self-erecting folding camera made by Welta offering 6×6 or 6×4.5 images on 120 film. The model introduced in 1938 had its winding knob on the bottom of the camera; however when production resumed in 1947, the wind knob was moved to the top panel beside the viewfinder. A number of lens & shutter variations are known. Around 1956, some Weltax production was taken up by VEB Rheinmetall, engraved with their name on the bottom.
The camera has a quite small reverse Galilean viewfinder, mounted on a pedestal in the camera top. There's a little shifter on that pedestal to release the finder for viewing near image subjects. Another little shifter on top on the finder serves to narrow the frame in the viewfinder for 4.5x6cm exposures.
The camera has medium a flash synchronized quality shutter for speeds from 1 to 1/200 sec. plus B mode like the Tempor the Prontor-S and a lens like the Ludwig Meritar 1:3.5 f=75mm, the Meyer-Optik Trioplan 1:3.5 / 75 V and the Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 3,5/75. It has a sturdy metal body, coated with leatherette. The front door was made of black plastics.