WIPA was perhaps the acronym of a Japanese lens maker. The name WIPA NIPPON and a WIPA logo appear on
- Yamat-Anastigmat 18cm f/4.5 barrel lens for large format cameras (engraved YAMAT–Anastigmat 1:4.5 F=18cm WIPA NIPPON [unreadable]).
- Yamat-Anastigmat 21cm f/4.5 barrel lens for large format cameras (engraved YAMAT–Anastigmat 1:4.5 F=21cm WIPA NIPPON N°13xxx).
The name "Yamat" is certainly a peculiar romanization of Yamato (やまと or 大和), one of the numerous words meaning "Japan", perhaps playing with the "mat" termination of "Anastigmat".
- ↑ A triplet lens with the letters WIPA in the central element.
- ↑ Seen in a Japanese on-line auction as a single lens (February 2012)
- ↑ The known lenses follow the serial number pattern 13xxx, possibly a reference to Showa 13 (=1938).—Documented are lens sn 13129, offered as single lens as lot no.736 of Westlicht auction no.6 (November 2004) and as lot no.858 of Westlicht auction no.15 (May 2009).— lens sn 13185, seen in a Japanese on-line auction (May 2012) and mounted to a Asanuma Field Camera .