Vivitar 70-150mm f/3.8 Close Focusing Auto Zoom
|Vivitar 70-150mm f/3.8 Close Focusing Auto Zoom|
image by John-Henry Collinson (Image rights)
The Vivitar 70-150mm f/3.8 Close Focusing Auto Zoom was a fixed mount lens distributed by Vivitar. Based on the serial numbers, it is believed that Kino Precision manufactured the lens. According to The Vivitar Guide, by John C. Wolf, this lens was one of Vivitar's most successful fixed-mount lenses due to the focal range covered when the optional 2x matched multiplier was used, giving a total range of 70-300mm. The lens retained the same minimum focus distance with the multiplier attached allow it to produce relatively high resolution close-up images. He has this to say about the lens:
One of the great Vivitar successes, the 70-150mm lens is their smallest, lightest zoom, with an incredible versatility. Alone, it is a normal-to-tele lens with a close-focusing mode allowing 1:4 magnification at 40.5cm (16in). But with its exclusive, optically mated 2x Matched Multiplier, its zoom range doubles to 140-300mm, and the close-focusing mode will give magnfications of up to 1:2.
Reviews of the lens by modern users tend to be good despite the age of the design.
- Badging: Vivitar
- Manufacturer: Kino Precision
- Manufacture Date: ca 1980
- Focal Length: 70-150mm
- Aperture Range: f/3.8 - f/22
- Diaphragm Type: automatic
- Diaphragm Blades: unknown
- Filter Diameter: 52mm
- Minimum Focus: Close Focus mode 40.5cm (16 in), Normal mode 1.5m (4.9 ft)
- Mounts: Canon FD, Pentax K, Nikon, Minolta, others
- Elements: 15
- Groups: 10
- Weight: 550g (19.5 oz)
- Accessories: built-in extendeable hood, available 2x matched multiplier
- Example Serial Numbers: 22826080, 22825830
- Original Stock Number(s): 0213769 (Pentax K mount)
- Wolf, John C. The Vivitar Guide. ISBN 9780871650658.