Talk:Rangefinder (device)

Jump to: navigation, search
This is the discussion page for Rangefinder (device). Click here to start a new topic.

Discussion pages are for discussing improvements to the article itself, not for discussions about the subject of the article.

must be merged

This page absolutely needs to be merged with Rangefinder. The first sentence is utter nonsense: "A coupled rangefinder is a focusing device for rangefinder cameras." --Rebollo fr 19:18, 28 August 2006 (EDT)

Done. --Rebollo fr 18:08, 9 October 2006 (EDT)

The explanation is a little wrong here; the image you see is not split by the beamsplitter, it's two separate images that are combined. (of course, a principle of optics is that all rays are reversible...) The bit at the end about parallax is also not quite right; this is referring to the viewfinder, not the rangefinder (you could attach a rangefinder to an SLR and have no viewing parallax); rangefinders may suffer from parallax if not placed properly or parallel to the focal plane - perhaps this ought to be removed.

I'll think about better words; I started but made it worse, so cancelled that part of the edit.

--User:Awcam 10 April 2008 @ 04:05 BST.

The article certainly looks better now. Some minor points are neglected though:

  • not all rangefinders are combined with the viewfinder, older models have a separate rangefinder (and three windows at the front), including well-known cameras such as the Leica screw models
  • not all rangefinders use a beam splitter, some use a split image instead, either with a separate second image moving inside the viewfinder, as in the Leningrad or Werra, or with a separate eyepiece showing two images separated by a horizontal line, as on the Super Baldina

--Rebollo fr 09:20, 7 May 2008 (EDT)