Talk:List of companies
|This is the discussion page for List of companies.
Purpose of the page
The purpose of this page is to keep a list of all the camera-related companies, that are contained in various sub-categories of Category: Cameras. I copied the list of camera makers of the current Main Page. It is likely that future versions of the Main Page won't have a list of camera makers but a link to this page instead. I intend to add the lens makers, film makers and distributors later. --Rebollo fr 17:29, 28 August 2006 (EDT)
I don't know much about the "behind the scenes" features of wiki software - but I would think that this page should be able to be automatically and instantaneously updated from the list of everything that is in any subcategory of the Companies category.
Is that possible?
--BirdieGalyan 12:19, 1 March 2007 (EST)
- I think that the answer is no. If you find more information about this, I would be interested to hear about it. --Rebollo fr 13:41, 1 March 2007 (EST)
This article suggests that code like
<ask format="table"> [[Category:Companies]] </ask>
ought to do something like I am saying. But something needs to be turned on by an administrator for this to work. --BirdieGalyan 15:26, 1 March 2007 (EST)
- Thanks for your interesting find. It needs an extension called "Semantic MediaWiki". This can only be installed by Lbstone (founder of the Wiki) who has access to the server. There is a small list of wanted features that I would like to see installed the next time he upgrades the software and we will try to include this one as well. --Rebollo fr 15:53, 1 March 2007 (EST)
- I can't see why this page is compiled by hand. Surely this is a job for categories? All of these should be in [[Category: Companies]] or one or more subcategories [[Category: Camera makers]], [[Category: Lens makers]], [[Category: Shutter makers]], etc. so why can't we just display the Companies category?--Dustin McAmera 17:07, 15 November 2011 (PST)
Not sure if a Category supports a links section. I have created a pdf with major centers of gravity in the camera world (company acquisitions, mergers, split-ups). I have included only the camera manufacturers (except a couple of special cases). Only a direct relationships between companies is listed. The pdf does have several previously almost unknown relationships too. I wonder if it is appropriate to add a link to this pdf to the companies category. http://collectiblend.com/Cameras/Family-Tree/Camera-Manufacturing-Companies-Family-Tree-v1.3.pdf
Diser 13:09, 3 September 2011 (PDT)
- Seems to be OK, didn't brake the table.
- Diser 11:17, 4 September 2011 (PDT)