Talk:Flash sync

Jump to: navigation, search
This is the discussion page for Flash sync. Click here to start a new topic.

Discussion pages are for discussing improvements to the article itself, not for discussions about the subject of the article.

PC connector vs "continental" connector

At least one of my older cameras has a flash connector that the instruction book refers to as a continental connector. It looks like a conventional PC connector but the manual describes it as being 3mm, while a PC connector is 3.5mm. Does anyone else know anything about continental connectors? Would it be worthwhile to mention this variant on the page?
Steevithak 17:51, 15 February 2011 (PST)

1) I thought PC connectors were 3 mm ...

2) ... but what do I know? I also thought PC stood for Photographic Coaxial, until I read on this page that it's Prontor/Compur. Following links from here, I read that the rapid adoption of the PC connector was in part due to both these popular shutters being owned by Zeiss. 'Continental' is likely to have been what the British called it.

3) However, one of the links on this page (here: ) shows a terminal on a Jsolette just before the PC socket became universally adopted (it's just below the title 'Flash Synchronisation'. The text says it looks like a PC socket, but a PC connector doesn't fit.
--Dustin McAmera 18:11, 15 February 2011 (PST)

Interesting, I'm probably confused about the 3.5mm measurement. I may trying measuring it and comparing it to a more modern camera that I'm certain has a PC connector to see if they're really different.
Steevithak 18:31, 15 February 2011 (PST)