Super Ikonta 531/16
|Super Ikonta III (531/16)|
image by Alf Sigaro (Image rights)
The 531/16 is a folding camera in the Ikonta line, produced by the German company Zeiss Ikon.
It takes 12 size 6x6 cm images on 120 type rollfilm. The Super Ikonta's are equiped with coupled rangefinders.
It was generally sold as the Super Ikonta III.
This Super Ikonta model has an automated film transport stop and counting mechanism.
There are some notable differences with earlier Super Ikonta's.
First of all the fact that the Rangefinder system uses another principle. No longer is an (external) rotating wedge used but now the principle of a mirror and moving lens is used. The whole rangefinder is thus incorporated into the topcover.
Secondly the fact that no longer a red window is used for determining the start position of the film. Now the film is transported with the back open till the start arrows on the film back paper are at 2 white markers on the filmgate. Then the back can be closed and the film transported till that locks and the counter automaticly set to number 1.
- Production period : 1953 to 1957
- Format : 6 x 6 cm on 120 type rollfilm
- Known Lens/Shutter combinations :
Novar 3.5/75 mm lens in a Prontor-SVS or Synchro-Compur shutter
Tessar 3.5/75 mm lens in a Synchro-Compur shutter
- Filter Size : 35.5mm screw and special 32mm slip-on
- Flash synchronisation : Socket on shutter, X-and M-synchronisation.
- Selftimer : Yes
- Lighmeter system : none
- Double exposure prevention : Yes
- Rangefinder : Coupled, mirror and moving lens. Window combined with viewfinder window.
- Viewfinder : reverse Galilean type, integrated in top cover
- Color Finish : Black with chrome topcover and ornaments
- Color Leatherette : Black
- Dimensions WxHxD : 138x103x43 mm (folded)
- Weight: 660 grams
|Super Ikonta III Rangefinder Close-up|
image by Hans Kerensky (Image rights)
- Bernd K.Otto, Article "Die Entwicklung der Ikonta/Super Ikonta (2)" in the German magazine Photo Deal Nr.47 IV/2004
- Zeiss Ikon brochure "Zeiss Ikon Cameras" (Dutch) from 1956, page 8
- Photo Porst Catalog (German) 1956, page 123