|Schott factory in Jena|
image by Gerlinde Hofmann (Image rights)
Otto Schott (1851 – 1935) was son of a Westphalian entrepreneur who owned a glass foundry. He studied chemistry, physics and mineralogy in Leipzig, Saxony. In 1882 he moved to Jena, Thuringia, where cooperated with Ernst Karl Abbe and Carl Zeiss. Together they researched on glass making and founded the "Glastechnische Laboratorium Schott & Genossen". Beside optical glass the company developed special glass like the chemically resistant heat withstanding borosilicate glass. The company became associated with the Zeiss foundation.
Nowadays Schott is based in Mainz, Rhineland-Palatinate, where it was re-founded in 1952 by Otto Schott's son Erich Schott after the East-German glass-works in Jena became state-owned. The Jena plant was re-integrated and renovated in the years 1991-1995.