Mamiya NC series
|Mamiya NC 1000|
image by Bernard Faure (Image rights)
NC Series from Mamiya is part of their long discontinued series of 35mm SLRs. This series had two cameras in it: NC 1000 and NC 1000S. They are nearly identical with minor differences such as film memo reminder and minor updated shutter. They had a bayonet mount (CS mount) that was different from other Mamiya bayonet mountings. Lenses for this series are still available and can be found on Ebay at regular intervals. There is a NC-P mount adapter that allows of Pentax thread mount lenses. Metering is then through stop-down metering.
There was a name variant of the NC 1000, sold by Sears and called the Auto CS 1000MXB in black and Auto CS 1000MX in chrome.
It has a rubberized silk focal plane shutter with speeds from 1s to 1/1000 with B. Flash sync the ability to use a hot shoe, FP and X terminals at 1/60 a sec. for electronic flash. The self-timer is electronic with a adjustable delay of 4 to 9 sec.
The film transport uses a film advance lever and a rewind crank. It features an open aperture metering system. The meter is switched on by pulling away slightly from the camera body. The viewfinder has a needle based meter display on the left with an aperture scale. The meter has a range of 2 to 18 EV at (ASA 100), settable to film speeds from 25 to 3200 ASA.
Focusing is done manually, with a diagonal split-image spot and micro-prism collar on the focusing screen. The camera uses two 1.5v SR44 batteries. A battery check feature is available with the LED indicator on the left shoulder of the camera body.
image by René Maly (Image rights)
|Sears Auto CS 1000MX|
image by Mike Duhe` (Image rights)
- Mamiya NC1000 and 1000S, at Ron Herron's "Collecting Mamiya 35mm Cameras" (archived - main page is blank, noted in 2020. Must use direct links to internal pages.)
- Roland Stauber's comprehensive Mamiya NC1000 site.
- Joerg Krueger's "Mamiya 35mm SLR Homepage" archive.org Wayback Machine archive
- Mamiya NC1000 and 1000s instruction manual, color PDF, including NC-P adapter instructions from www.OrphanCameras.com
- NC 1000s on www.collection-appareils.fr by Sylvain Halgand (in French)
- Mamiya NC1000S at The Camera Site by Reijo Lauro