The Korelle K is a viewfinder camera for half-frame (18x24mm) pictures on 35mm film (the 'K' presumably standing for Kleinbild), made by Kochmann from about 1932. It is unlike the other Korelle cameras, having a body moulded in black or red-brown Bakelite-like plastic. The name 'Korelle' is moulded into the front of the camera. All examples seen have a Compur shutter with speeds to 1/300 second. The lens may be a 3.5cm f/2.8 Meyer Trioplan, an f/2.8 or f/3.5 Xenar, or an f/3.5 Tessar. All of these have front-element focusing down to 0.5 metre. The lens is front-mounted on the shutter, and this allowed Kochmann to offer interchangeable long-focus lenses: 5cm and 7.5cm Trioplans, 5cm, 7.5cm and 10cm Tele-Xenars, and 5cm and 7cm Tessars. An example has been seen with a 7.5cm f/4.5 Leitz Elmar: the auctioneer stated that only two of this lens were ever supplied to Kochmann.
The camera takes 35mm cine film in reusable cassettes. This is wound from a supply cassette to an uptake one; a modern 35mm cassette can be used on the supply side. The cassettes are light-tight for daylight-loading; Kochmann's brochure states that this allows the exposed film to be removed for development at any time (useful when a full load may be 100 exposures). The film advance stops automatically; advancing the film cancels the double-exposure prevention.
On the top of the camera there is a wide, flat film advance knob, a frame counter, marked to 90, and the shutter release button. There is also a reverse-Galilean viewfinder. In one example seen, this is not fastened directly to the body, but mounted in an accessory shoe. It seems likely this is a repair or modification.
The back and base detach for loading, with a catch on the back. A painted brass depth-of-field table is also fastened on the back.
- Korelle K in black with f/3.5 Trioplan, at Early Photography
- Korelle K in brown with f/3.5 Tessar, offered for sale at the 32nd Westlicht Photographica Auction in March 2018.
- Korelle K with f/2.9 Xenar, offered for sale together with a Korelle P at the Rahn auction Photographica 26 in December 2013.
- Korelle K in black with f/3.5 Xenar, and with VF mounted in an accessory shoe; offered for sale at the Rahn auction Photographica 6 in November 2007.
- Korelle K brochure, offered for sale as Ebay item 112637694220.
- Korelle K in brown with 7.5cm f/4.5 Elmar, sold at the 7th Westlicht Photographica Auction, in May 2005.
- Korelle K and other non-folding cameras at CJ's Classic Cameras