Barclaycard Visa Camera
The Barclaycard Visa Camera was a promotional 35mm plastic toy camera given out in the UK in the 1980's. It is similar to the Time Magazine Camera but features a plastic Optical Color Lens rather than the Glass lens of its US counterpart.
The lens is commonly seen on some Trashcams.
It has a fixed focus lens with 4 aperture setting on lens barrel (f/6 to f/16) which also match to a 4 weather pictograms (sunny to cloudy) on other side of barrel. The film plane is curved. It has a basic viewfinder with no markings. The film compartment is opened by pulling up rewind knob.
The plastic used is now reported as quite brittle and the one used in images film rewind sprocket broke on loading.
Barclaycard later issued a promotional Barclaycard compact camera, 35mm viewfinder with built in flash. Unit is marked as having Red Eye Reduction & Close up features.
Barclaycard Visa Camera Specifications
- Lens: 50mm Optical Color lens Auto fixed focus 1:6
- Focus: Fixed
- Shutter speed: in region of 1/100 to 1/125
- Aperture: 4 settings f/6, f/8, f/11 and f/16 on lens barrel with pictograms on otherside
- Film counter
- Hotshoe flash
- Tripod mount point
- Production: Made in Taiwan R.O.C marked on base
Barclaycard Compact Specification
- Lens: 29mm Asperical lens 1:5.6 (3 elements)
- Fixed shutter speed
- Built in flash with red eye reduction
- Close up setting: 0.6-1.2m