The Yashica FX-D is " The little sister" of the Contax 139 Quartz released in 1980. Still, some people consider Contax to have a more solid feel, plus it adds TTL flash, DOF preview, and aperture readout in the viewfinder among other differences. Otherwise the FX-D has similar features, the same rather small housing, and the same Contax/Yashica bayonet lens mount. The FX-D is well suited as second body for Contax users, since the controls are placed in Contax-like positions on the body. In particular you find the meter control button on the front side. The bottom of the camera contain contact for a motor drive. Upon release one was not available, but it was compatible with the Contax 139 motor drive.
A variation of the FX-D was sold as the FX-D SE Quartz. This version of the camera features a back-plate with a window behind which is a rotating red&white wheel which indicates that the film is being wound-on. This does not exist on the standard FX-D. Yashica added a single page insert into the FX-D user manual to explain the difference as well as a sticker to the front cover showing 'SE'. It was often sold with a FX motor drive winder and a zoom lens.
One of the main problems with the FX-D is the spongy soft vinyl material used for the covering the camera. It becomes very fragile quickly, making it easy to separate and peel.
- Type: 35mm SLR with aperture preferred automatic exposure.
- Image size: 24 x 36 mm
- Lens mount: Contax/Yashica bayonet mount.
- Shutter: Electronic vertical running metal focal plane shutter.
- Shutter speeds: Quartz-timed electronic shutter with variable speeds on AUTO from 1/1000 to 1 seconds. Manual from 1/1000 to 1 sec., plus X (1/100 sec.) and "B" Sync speed of 1/100 sec.
- Exposure control: TTL, center-weighted at full aperture. Aperture-preferred automatic exposure.
- Meter: SPD Silicon Photo Diode
- Measuring range: EV 1 to EV 18 sensitivity range at ASA 100 with f/1.4 lens. ASA range 25-1600.
- Shutter release: Electromagnetic release system; auxiliary remote release via "Release socket".
- Exposure compensation: + 2 EV
- Viewfinder: Fixed eye-level pentaprism type; field of view 95%; 0.86 magnification (with 50 mm lens)
- Viewfinder display: Shutter speeds indicated by 16 LEDs.
- Focusing screen: Horizontal split-image spot, with microprism collar and matte field.
- Film advance: With rapid advance lever; 130° setting angle; 20° standoff position.
- Self-timer: Electronic self-timer with 10 sec. delay.
- Power: 2x 1.55 V silver-oxide batteries SR44 or alkaline LR44. Battery check.
- Dimensions: 135 x 86 x 50 mm
- Weight: 460g