Sekonic is a Japanese manufacturer of light meters, still active today (2010).
The company's roots seemingly trace back to June 1941. It was established as a stock company (kabushiki-gaisha) in June 1951 as Seikō Denki Kōgyō K.K. (成光電機工業㈱) or Seiko Electric Industries Co., Ltd., based in Toshima, Tokyo. Its first exposure meter was the Sekonic P-1.
In 1959 the company opened a new factory in Nerima, Tokyo, and created the sub-company K.K. Hachiyō Kōgaku Kōgyō (㈱八陽光学工業), with a factory in Ikeda, prefecture of Nagano, for the manufacture of exposure meters. The main company Seikō Denki Kōgyō was renamed K.K. Sekonic (㈱セコニック) in August 1960. It opened another factory in Ikeda in 1965.
|Hanimex Sekonic meter.
Picture by Nicholas Gray. (Image rights)
|Sekonic meter built into a Beauty Super L.
Picture by J. Hopper. (Image rights)
|Yashicaflex S with built-in Sekonic meter.|
Picture by Lux4u2. (Image rights)
As well as light meters sold under its own brand, the company also made various OEM meters, sold under different names such as Prinz and Hanimex, whilst others were built into various Japanese cameras. Sekonic also made 8mm movie cameras and projectors in the 1960s, some of which were also sold under other names like Hanimex, others under their own Sekonic and Elmatic brands.
In 1984, the Sekonic L-518 Digipro X-1 meter was used on board the NASA Space Shuttle.
- Sekonic P-1
- Sekonic L-88 Micro-Lightmeter (1961–63)
- Sekonic L-96 Super-Microlite (1961–64)
- Sekonic L-98 Micro-Leader (1964–78)
|Sekonic L-208 Twinmate.|
Picture by Süleyman. (Image rights)
- Sekonic L-136 Microclip-on (1962–70)
- Sekonic L-164B Marinemeter II (1969–2002)
- Sekonic L-188 Auto-Leader (1979–2005)
- Sekonic L-206 Viewmeter (1966–76)
- Sekonic L-208 Twinmate (2000–)
- Sekonic L-216 Autorange (1966–78)
- Sekonic L-218 Apex (1967–79)
- Sekonic L-228 Zoom-Meter (1968–85)
- Sekonic L-248 Multi-Lumi (1971–92)
- Sekonic L-256 Flashmeter (1972–85)
- Sekonic L-308 and L-308S Flashmate (1992–)
- Sekonic L-318 Digi-Lite (1986–2002)
- Sekonic L-328 Digi-Lite F (1988–2002)
- Sekonic L-358 Flash Master (2001–)
- Sekonic L-398A Studio Deluxe III
- Sekonic L-408 Multimaster (1995–2002)
- Sekonic L-418 Autometer (1977–80)
- Sekonic L-428 System-Meter (1974–85)
- Sekonic L-438 View-Spotmeter (1979–88)
|Sekonic L-508 Zoom-Master.
Picture by HairyHippy. (Image rights)
|Sekonic L-758DR Digital Master.|
Picture by vegaskevin. (Image rights)
- Sekonic L-448 Studio-Auto II (1981–85)
- Sekonic L-458 Digi-Flash (1984–89)
- Sekonic L-488 Digi-Spot (1985–91)
- Sekonic L-508 Zoom-Master (1997–2003)
- Sekonic L-508 Cine Zoom-Master (1998–2003)
- Sekonic L-518 Digipro X-1 (1983–89)
- Sekonic L-558 and L-558R Dualmaster (2003–)
- Sekonic L-558 Cine Dualmaster (2003–)
- Sekonic L-608 Superzoom-Master (2001–2004)
- Sekonic L-608 Cine Superzoom-Master (2001–2004)
- Sekonic L-718 Digi-Master (1990–2001)
- Sekonic L-758 Cine Digital Master
- Sekonic L-758DR Digital Master (2006–)
- Sekonic L-778 Dual-Spot F (1992–2002)