The Vivitar Series 1 28-105mm f/2.8-3.8 VMC Macro Focusing Zoom lens was designed to Vivitar's specifications. It was marketed by Vivitar after 1985. This lens was not part of the original Series 1 family as released in the 1970s, nor was it part of the Series 1 family when the John C. Wolf book on Vivitar lenses was published in 1980. It was added to the Series 1 lineup sometime after 1985.
This lens was later replaced by another lens with the same focal range, known as the Vivitar Series 1 28-105mm f/2.8-3.8 Macro Focusing Zoom (note lack of "VMC" designation on later lens). Both lenses are believed to have been manufactured by Cosina. The later lens has both exterior visual differences and different internals.
This lens is easily identifiable by 1) diagonal ridges on the focusing ring 2) "VMC" designation and 3) 67mm filter size.
There are undocumented references to a second of version of this lens that is mechanically identical but has different coloring, usually described having flat black metal components instead of glossy black as seen on the first version. (photos or other evidence is needed to authenticate this).
- Badging: Vivitar Series 1
- Manufacturer: Cosina
- Manufacture Date: ca 1985-91
- Focal Length: 28-105mm
- Aperture Range: f/2.8 - f/22
- Diaphragm Type: Automatic
- Diaphragm Blades: unknown
- Filter Diameter: 67mm
- Minimum Focus: 0.2 m (7.87 in.)
- Mounts: Canon FD, Konica, M42, Minolta, Nikon, Pentax P/K-A and Olympus OM
- Elements: 14
- Groups: 12
- Weight: 620 g (21.84 oz.)
- Accessories: unknown
- Example Serial Numbers: 09940146
- Original Stock Number(s): unknown
- Maximum Barrel Diameter: 70 mm (2.76 in.)