Talk:Exposure meter

Jump to: navigation, search
This is the discussion page for Exposure meter. Click here to start a new topic.

Discussion pages are for discussing improvements to the article itself, not for discussions about the subject of the article.


This page really should be moved to "Exposure meter" as that is what it is describing --DesmondW 02:05, 15 March 2012 (PDT)

I understand the distinction you are making—between photometric meters and photographic ones—but in everyday use, practically all photographers say "light meter." An analogy: in photography, everyone uses the word "emulsion," even though technically an emulsion is droplets of one liquid suspended in another. Another "error" is the use of the word "telephoto" to mean any longer-than-normal focal length (rather than for the specific design with a negative rear group to shorten the barrel length). All of these are so deeply ingrained that you have to accept the de facto use of the words, and choose page titles with the term most site visitors will look for. There is no advantage in confusing people. --Vox 07:12, 15 March 2012 (PDT)
Vox - thank you for your comments. I accept, and use, the de facto "light meter" when meaning "exposure meter". The examples you quote are both true. I do not propose revisionism, merely to move this article to the more correct "Exposure meter" with redirect from "Light meter" and acceptance of everyday usage. --DesmondW 08:48, 15 March 2012 (PDT)
You don't seem to have read my comment "choose page titles with the term most site visitors will look for." I will let this one go, but it was unnecessary and pedantic. --Vox 18:10, 16 March 2012 (PDT)