Talk:Cassette film

Jump to: navigation, search
This is the discussion page for Cassette film. Click here to start a new topic.

Discussion pages are for discussing improvements to the article itself, not for discussions about the subject of the article.

This seems to be a rather arbitrary redefinition of standard English words, going against common usage, and without reference to any source. The Oxford Dictionary (I have the 9th Edition, Concise Oxford Dictionary) has:

cartridge: 1 a casing containing a charge of propelling explosive for firearms or blasting, with the addition of a bullet or shot if for small arms. 2 a spool of film, magnetic tape, etc. in a sealed container ready for insertion. 3 a component carrying the stylus on the pick-up head of a record player. 4 an ink container for insertion in a pen or in a laser or ink-jet printer.

(the bold is mine, to pick out the part relevant to us)

It states further that cartridge is thought to be a corruption of the French word cartouche; looking that up, it is derived from the Italian cartoccio, which is derived from carta, meaning card.

cassette: a sealed case containing a length of tape, ribbon, etc., ready for insertion in a machine, esp.: 1. a length of audiotape or videotape wound onto spools, ready for insertion in a tape recorder or video recorder. 2 a length of photographic film, ready for insertion in a camera.

(the bold is again mine)

It states that the word is from French, and is the diminutive of casse, meaning a case.

So, as far as I can see, the OED regards the two as interchangeable. In any case, that's how they are used in the English I am used to hearing. I'm not going to change the page, but I don't like it, and I'd like to hear what others think. --Dustin McAmera (talk) 06:23, 27 October 2012 (PDT)