Seitz is a manufacturer of panoramic cameras based in Lustdorf, Switzerland. It was founded in 1955 by Hermann Seitz, who developed several models based on a mechanism that rotated the camera, allowing complete circular panoramas to be made. Many were branded Roundshot.
Through the 1990s, Seitz cameras evolved more sophisticated electronic control. A later development was digital cameras using a high-speed scanning back, as well as dedicated computer systems able to handle the immense file size of high-resolution panoramic images. The current (2011) Seitz 6×17 digital model departs from the company heritage of swiveling cameras, and generates a single rectilinear image of 160 megapixel resolution.
- Seitz company website and history page
- Panoscope model 35/35 rotating camera for 35mm film, with remote control unit, offered for sale but unsold at the 36th Leitz Photographica Auction
- Brief video clip showing camera rotation, by coffeekev on Flickr
- Example photos by Matt Abinante on Flickr
- Seitz 6×17 digital camera review at Luminous Landscape
- Video clip (2:27) of Peter Seitz presenting the 6×17 digital model at Photokina 2006, from Imaging Resource's YouTube channel
|Seitz 6×17 digital camera|
image by Ching-ju Cheng (Image rights)
|image by krashkraft (Image rights)|