Ricoh XR 500 Auto
35mm SLR produced by Ricoh that uses Pentax's K mount. The camera body & features owes more to the the Ricoh KR-10 Super than the Ricoh XR-500 but lacks both models' manual modes. It is an aperture priority automatic camera.
Instead of a shutter speed dial like the KR-10, around the shutter button, the ring selects between automatic (A), a flash mode (X), bulb setting (B) or Lock the shutter (L) by the ring around the shutter button. The user can set the aperture in both X mode allowing the camera to be used as a manual camera abet with a fixed shutter speed of 1/125. If using a dedicated flash unit (Ricoh speedlite 180 and 240) the camera should be left at automatic.
The viewfinder features a simple set of LED on the right side in automatic exposure mode only. These indicating reasonable exposure (solid green), risk of camera shake (shutter speed is below 1/50) (flashing green) and if over/under exposure (solid red at either + or - point). There is also a LED for flash ready if using dedicated flash unit.
This 1980's basic entry level SLR which lacks features like depth of field preview, mirror lock and manual modes. Manual indicates was supplied with either a f/1.4, f/1.7 or f/2 50mm lens. It can be used with screw mount lenses with an optional adaptor but lens must be manually stopped down for the automatic exposure to work.
- Shutter: vertical moving electronically controlled metal focal plane shutter.
- Shutter speeds: in automatic mode 1sec to 1/1000sec, bulb.
- Lens mount: K mount.
- Focusing: Diagonal split image focusing spot.
- Metering: TTL full open metering for center-weighted average light reading with automatic exposure coupled to f-stops.
- Exposure coupling range EV4-18 (ASA100 with f/1.4 50mm lens).
- Film speed: 12-3200 ASA.
- Exposure adjustment: up to +/- 2EV in 1/3 steps.
- electonic timer with flashing LED ~10seconds.
- Flash: Hotshoe (X contact) or PC sync.
- Threaded for cable release.
- Tripod mount point.
- Metering Batteries: 2xLR44 or 2xSR44.
- Weight (body only): 455grams.