Pentax ES II
|Pentax ES II with SMC Takumar 1:1.4/50|
image by Klaus Riesner (Image rights)
|All black ESII with Super-Macro-Takumar 1:4/50|
image by Mauro Moran (Image rights)
- A delayed-action (self-timer) is added, which can be cancelled by returning the lever to its normal position.
- Although the AE (electronically timed) and manual (mechanical) shutter speed ranges are the same as in the ES, the full range of speeds (up to 8 seconds) can be displayed in the viewfinder (the ES gave electronically-timed exposures up to 8 seconds, but the scale in the VF only went to 1 second).
- The metering sensitivity is the same, but allows the film speed to be set up to 3200 ASA (cf 1600 in the ES).
- A locked position is added to the shutter release button.
- The battery is now specified as four S76E (SR44) silver oxide cells, in place of the single 4SR44/PX28A used in the ES. The battery compartment is also moved to the base. The battery check is unchanged (the meter needle should fall below the notch in the middle of the VF scale).
- A viewfinder blind is added. This is closed (for use with the camera away from the eye) by a setting on the shutter speed dial.
- Camera type: 35 mm SLR camera, with through-the-lens aperture priority AE
- Manufacturer: Asahi
- Lens mount: 42mm thread (Pentax-mount)
- Standard lens: 50 mm f/1.4 or 55 mm f/1.8 SMC Takumar
- Mirror: instant return type
- Viewfinder: pentaprism and fresnel focusing screen with central microprism focusing aid, 93% coverage
- Horizontally-running focal plane shutter with electronic or mechanical timing
- In AE, shutter speed is continuously variable from 8 - 1/1000 second
- Mechanically timed shutter speeds 1/60 - 1/1000 second and 'B' can also be set manually
- Self-timer (delayed action) lever for 5-11 second delay; cancellable.
- Shutter cocked by advancing the film (shutter-cocked indicator: red dot in window next to shutter release)
- Flash synchronisation: Hot shoe (synchronised for X-synch. at 1/60 sec) and separate PC sockets beside lens mount for X- and FP-synch.
- Film advance: Ratchet type rapid wind lever
- Film rewind: folding crank; rewind release button on base
- Depth-of-field preview (and stop-down for stopped-down metering): lever to left of lens mount to be used in preference to the lens' stop-down lever.
- Weight: 678 g (without lens); 930 g with 50 mm f/1.4
|ESII, advertised in 1974.|