No. 2 Bulls-Eye
The No. 2 Bulls-Eye was introduced in 1892 by the Boston Camera Manufacturing Company. It was the first rollfilm camera with a red window as the exposure number indicator. That was possible since rollfilm was paper-backed. Maybe the red-blindness of early film material was the reason to choose red as the color of that window. Kodak copied the camera as No. 2 Bullet camera in 1895, and paid a patent license fee to the original manufacturer for the red window patent. Later Kodak took over the other camera maker. "Bulls-Eye" became a camera brand of Eastman Kodak.
|No. 2 Bulls-Eye Special in ad of 1898|
scanned by Uwe Kulick (Image rights)
|Kodak No. 2 Bulls-Eye|
image by Rick Soloway (Image rights)
|No. 2 Bulls-Eye Model D insert showing Eastman Rotary Shutter c.1900|
image by Geoff Harrisson (Image rights)