The Light is a leaf shutter mounted on some Japanese cameras in the second half of the 1930s.
General description and manufacturer
The front plate of the Light shutters is inscribed Light at the bottom and Patent Pending at the top, and has a round MB logo on the right. The aperture scale is screwed to the bottom. The speeds are engraved on the moving rim.
A similar MB logo appears on the Japanese "Tokyo Compur" and "Rapid Compur" shutters, notably mounted on the Rollekonter 6×6 TLR made by Mori Seisakusho. A wartime document says that these shutters were made by Bikōdō, a company that was related to Mori. The "MB" initials might stand for Mori and Bikōdō, and the Light shutters were perhaps an earlier product of these two companies.
The Light brand name might also indicate a relationship with Ōhashi Kōki Seisakusho, a company which is known to have used this trademark and to have mounted Light shutters on its Roll Light Ref camera.
Versions and cameras equipped
Two main models exist, in #0 or #00 size.
The #00 size model exists in at least three versions:
- Light B (5, 10, 25, 50, 100, 250, B, T)
- Light C (25, 50, 100, B, T)
- F Light (5–150, T, B)
The exact shutter version is not always mentioned in the available documents. Here is a list of cameras with a #00 Light:
- Semi Dymos (advertised and observed with a Light B)
- Hansa Semi Rollette (announced and advertised with an F Light)
- Roll Light Ref (advertised with a Light B and Light C)
- Rollekonter B (reported only)
The Rosen shutter mounted on the Semi Rosen has the same aspect and features as the Light B, and is certainly a name variant.
- Asahi Camera (アサヒカメラ) editorial staff. Shōwa 10–40nen kōkoku ni miru kokusan kamera no rekishi (昭和10–40年広告にみる国産カメラの歴史, Japanese camera history as seen in advertisements, 1935–1965). Tokyo: Asahi Shinbunsha, 1994. ISBN 4-02-330312-7.
- Inoue, Mitsuo (井上光朗). "Shashin renzu no yoake. Renzu-ya Funsenki" (写真レンズの夜明け・レンズ屋奮戦記, Dawn of the photographic lens – Fierce war tales between lens shops). Kamera Rebyū: Kurashikku Kamera Senka (カメラレビュー クラシックカメラ専科) / Camera Review: All about Historical Cameras no.14, October 1989. No ISBN number. Rikō kamera no subete (リコーカメラのすべて, special issue on Ricoh). Pp.128–132.