| Konica Hexar|
image by Marcello Sokal (Image rights)
The Konica Hexar, first released in 1993, is a fixed-lens, autofocus camera from Konica with a 35mm f2 lens, rather expensive when new. Marketed as an alternative to the Contax G, the Nikon of the time, it appealed with its superb lens and the general high quality of its construction. It also has some unique features, such as a "stealth mode" that makes it one of the quietest of 35mm cameras despite its automatic winding. Among users, it is popularly referred to as the "Hexar AF" (for "autofocus"), in contradistinction to the interchangeable-lens, rangefinder focused Konica Hexar RF.
- Lens: Hexar 35mm f2; six groups, seven elements; minimum aperture f22; built-in lens hood
- Autofocus: infrared active - 290 steps
- Close focus: 0.6m
- Shutter: Electromagnetic 30secs - 1/250
- Light meter: SPD - Centre-weighted (15 degrees) Spot-metering (4 degrees)
- Sensitivity: EV 0-16 at ISO 100 (centre) EV3-18 (spot)
- Modes: Programmed AE, aperture priority, metered manual
- Film speed setting: DX coding or manual (6-6400)
- Viewfinder: Reverse Galilean with bright lines, automatic parallax and angle of field correction
- Displays: LCD on top, viewfinder
- Film transport: Motor (and rewind)
- Self-timer: Electronic (approx 10 seconds; no thread for a cable release)
- Other features: focus lock, exposure compensation (1/3 stop increments); silent mode (standard with some variants, programmable with others)
- Power: 6v 2CR5 battery
- Dimensions: Width 137.5mm, height 76.5mm, depth 64.5mm
- Weight: 495g without battery
- Matching flash: HX-14 (GN14)
- Price in Britain: £600 (August 1998)
- Richard Caruana's review at photo.net (discussion includes very useful hidden function unlocking information).
- Stephen Gandy's overview at Cameraquest.
- Dante Stella's review.
- Davidde Stella's comment on durability and lens design (via Wayback, therefore slow).
- Stuart Richardson's Commentary.
- Detailed article at Silvergrain wiki.
- Matt Alofs' review.
- Wikipedia article on the Hexar.
- Hexar instruction manual in English.
- Random Hexar photos from pbase.com
|Japan Camera Grand Prix|
| Camera of the year
1984: Nikon FA | 1985: Minolta α-7000 | 1986: Canon T90 | 1987: Canon EOS 650 | 1988: Kyocera Samurai | 1989: Nikon F4 | 1990: Canon EOS 10 | 1991: Contax RTS III | 1992: Pentax Z-1 | 1993: Canon EOS 5 | 1994: Minolta α-707si | 1995: Contax G1 | 1996: Minolta TC-1 | 1997: Nikon F5 | 1998: Pentax 645N | 1999: Minolta α-9 | 2000: Canon EOS-1V | 2001: Minolta α-7 | 2002: Canon EOS-1D | 2003: Canon EOS-1Ds | 2004: Nikon D70 | 2005: Konica Minolta α-7 Digital | 2006: Nikon D200 | 2007: Pentax K10D | 2008: Nikon D3 | 2009: Canon EOS 5D Mark II | 2010: Olympus Pen E-P1 | 2011: Pentax 645D | 2012: Nikon D800 | 2013: Sony DSC-RX1 | 2014: Nikon Df