|Kamerette Junior No2 Box Camera|
image by Inspiredphotos (Image rights)
The Kamerette is a simple box camera, made in Japan around 1930. It takes 3×5cm no-need-darkroom film sheets, and is sometimes described as a "yen-camera" because most of these cameras were sold for ¥1. The Kamerette has a single brilliant finder at the top, a fixed-focus lens, no diaphragm and Bulb exposure only. Many versions exist, and all are very similar to other box-shaped no-need-darkroom cameras.
The Kamerette Junior No.1, Kamerette Junior No.4 and Camerette are very similar to each other. They have a nameplate attached to the body under the lens, respectively inscribed KAMERETTE JUNIOR NO.1, KAMERETTE JUNIOR NO.4 and CAMERETTE. The Camerette is very similar, with a CAMERETTE nameplate.
|Super Camera shown on instruction sheet|
image by Dirk HR Spennemann (Image rights)
|Kamerette Junior No.4|
image by Tom C. Robison (Image rights)
The Kamerette Junior No.2 has a hexagonal plate around the shutter assembly, and has the words Kamerette and Junior No2 around the lens. The Super Camera is similar but has a SUPER CAMERA nameplate attached to the body under the lens, and no marking around the lens itself. It is very likely that the box-shaped Baby camera is a mere variant of the Kamerette, as a baby Camera was observed issued with an instruction sheet for a "Super Camera"
McKeown also reports a "Kamerette No.1" and "Kamerette No.2", perhaps a confusion with the Junior models.
- ↑ Kamerette Junior No.1: example pictured in Pritchard, p.49. Kamerette Junior No.4: example pictured in Sugiyama, item 4042. Camerette: example pictured in McKeown, p.176.
- ↑ Examples pictured in McKeown, p.456, in Pritchard, p.49, and formerly in this page at Infocam (archived).
- ↑ Examples pictured in Pritchard, p.49, and formerly in this page at Infocam (archived). The Super Camera is also mentioned in McKeown, p.908, where it is wrongly dated "c.1950".
- ↑ See this item; Text of instructions can be found here
- ↑ McKeown, p.456.
- McKeown, James M. and Joan C. McKeown's Price Guide to Antique and Classic Cameras, 12th Edition, 2005-2006. USA, Centennial Photo Service, 2004. ISBN 0-931838-40-1 (hardcover). ISBN 0-931838-41-X (softcover). Pp.176, 456 and 908.
- Pritchard, Michael and St. Denny, Douglas. Spy Cameras — A century of detective and subminiature cameras. London: Classic Collection Publications, 1993. ISBN 1-874485-00-3. P.49.
- Sugiyama, Kōichi (杉山浩一); Naoi, Hiroaki (直井浩明); Bullock, John R. The Collector's Guide to Japanese Cameras. 国産カメラ図鑑 (Kokusan kamera zukan). Tokyo: Asahi Sonorama, 1985. ISBN 4-257-03187-5. Item 4042.
- Kamerette Junior No.2 and Super Camera at Infocam (archived)