|silver (first version)|
image by yashicasailorboy (Image rights)
The ST701 has a stop-down, match-needle TTL metering system that uses two silicon photo diodes, and was the first camera design to abandon CdS cells in favor of a faster and more sensitive silicon photo-diode. Metering needle indicators are displayed in the viewfinder, which is exceptionally bright. The camera's focal-plane shutter has speeds of 1 to 1/1000 sec. The flash sync speed is 1/60. The camera has two connectors for flash, the top one is for FP and the bottom is for X. The finder screen has a microprism to aid in focusing. The camera's meter is powered by 2 EPX400/E400N mercury batteries, but unlike many cameras of the time, it simply will not work at all with higher voltage modern batteries. Hearing aid batteries (MBX400) are one of the few available solutions for this issue, 3.6mm height batteries can be used; held together by a plastic spacer. Other more complex solutions involve the use of diodes.
There were three versions of this camera. The image to the right is the first version and below are of the third version. The second version is similar to the first but the badging has been changed. The third version added a hot shoe and split-image rangefinder focusing spot.
|silver model (third version)|
image by Kimmo Kulovesi (Image rights)
|black ST701 (third version) with Cosinon lens|
image by Paulo Moreira (Image rights)
- Shutter: Focal-plane shutter, B-1-1/1000 sec. Film speed indicator window built into Shutter Speed Selector Dial, built-in self-timer, FP and X contact. Hotshoe (on later models only)
- Viewfinder: Pentaprism eye-level viewfinder 0 96 X magnification with F1.8 55mm lens), microprism focusing center, split image and ground glass. (Early models - microprism only
- Exposure Meter TTL average light measurement with close-down aperture. Silicon photo-cell receptors coupled to FET (Field Effect Transistor) circuit, zero in type indicator needle visible in viewfinder
- Coupled Range ASA 25-3200 (1/3rd step), EV1-EV18 (f/1.4 1sec - f/16 1/1000 sec. with ASA 100 film)
- Power Source Two 1.35V mercury batteries (Mallory RM-400R, Ever Ready E400).
- Film Advance Single-stroke lever , 193o winding angle, winding latitude provided by lever tip, returnable lever (from winding angle), self cocking shutter, easy loading, provision for double-exposure prevention.
- Frame Counter Automatic resetting additive type.
- Film Rewind Hand crank
- Flash Synchronization FP, X, Hotshoe (on later models only)
- Lens Mount Praktica screw mount, 42X1 mm
- Dimensions 133 x 91 x 88mm ( 5.24 x 3.59 X 3. 47inch) with F1.8 lens
- Weight 780g. with Fujinon 50/f1.8 lens mounted (including batteries and lens cap). 585g. body alone (including body cap)
- Optional Accessories Leather Case, Eyecup, Eyesight Adjustment Lens, Right-angle Finder, Accessory shoe, Close-up lens, Extension Tubes, Microscope Adapter, Leica Mount Adapter, Reverse Adapter, Extension Bellows, Lens Hood, Body Mount Cap, Macrocinecopy.
- According to Fujifilm's "50 Years of Ayumi".