|image by Achim Pfennig (Image rights)|
VEB Pentacon licensed the production of screw-mount Exas (some late Ib version 4.4 and all Ic version 4.5 ) to Certo Camera Werk, Dresden-Großzsachwitz, a part of VEB Pentacon. Cameras built by Certo have serial numbers preceded with a letter C. The later models of Exa 1b have black plastic top- and bottom plates.
Exa 1b body is virtually identical to Exa Ia except rewind knob replaced with a crank and the lens mount is M42, instead of the traditional Exakta bayonet mount. The camera also has internal aperture coupling for M42 automatic lenses.
There are 4 versions of the Exa 1b. 
|Exa 1b version 4.1 (1979) w/Domiplan 50mm f/2.8|
image by Süleyman Demir (Image rights)
|Exa 1b version 4.1 w/Carl Zeiss Jena DDR Tessar 50mm f/2.8|
images by Dries van den Elzen (Image rights)
|images by Dries van den Elzen (Image rights)|
This data belongs to the version 4.1 in the photos.
- Lens release: simply screw counter clockwise
- Focusing: simple matte glass screen,
- Shutter: Mirror acts like a curtain as a part of the shutter, vertical moving, due to this maximum speed is limited to 1/175; half-depression of the shutter release allows a depth of field preview.
- Speeds: 1/30-1/175 +B setting: dial under the rewind crank knob
- Shutter release: on the left front of the camera, w/cable release socket
- Cocking lever: also winds the film, short stroke
- Frame counter: on the cocking lever knob, regressive type, manual setting
- Viewfinder: eye level SLR pentaprism, interchangeable
- Finder release: by a small lever on the back of top plate, turn it left and pull-up the finder
- Mirror: not instant return. Mirror is actually a part of the shutter mechanism. When the shutter released, the mirror goes up as in a conventional SLR, but when the exposure is over, a second cover rotates upward to block the light. There is no real shutter curtain.
- Flash PC socket: M and X, setting with the speeds knob
- Back cover: removable with the bottom plate, opens by a thumb wheel on the bottom plate
- Film loading: special take-up spool, removable
- Others: Memory dial; Tripod socket 1/4 inch; Strap lugs; Engaving on the back cover: Made in G.D.R.
- Body: metal; Weight:
- Domiplan (Meyer Optik), 50mm f/2.8, fully automatic, 3 elements; filter thread: 40.5mm
- Domiplan is the standard lens of Exa 1b.
- Mount: M42 screw mount
- There is a standard M42 type arc/lever on the body, that depresses the pin on the lens that closes the diaphragm blades. When the pressure is let up, the lens opens fully again. A half-depression of the shutter release allows a depth of field preview.
- Aperture: f/2.8-f/22
- Focus range: 0.75-12m +inf
|Exa 1b Images by Süleyman Demir (Image rights)|
- According to Andrzej Wrotniak
- in Andrzej Wrotniak's website
- in Captain Jack's website
- in Maurizio Frizziero's website
- Exa 1b, by Daniel Jiménez, at Del infinito al plano focal (in Spanish)
- Exa camera and user manuals at www.collection-appareils.com by Sylvain Halgand (in French)
- EXA Ib PDF manual Solvak language at Butkus' OrphanCameras.com