Contax S2 / S2b
|image by Vincent Li (Image rights)|
The Contax S2 was originally introduced in October 1992 to commemorate the 60th anniversary of Contax cameras. It is a fully mechanical, manual-focus, manually-operated 35mm SLR camera, using batteries only to power the light meter, and features titanium top and bottom plates. Like all modern Contax manual-focus SLR cameras, the S2 used the Contax/Yashica bayonet mount in order to accept Carl Zeiss T* lenses. The camera was intended as a 'purist' model for use by customers who were experienced photographers. It is unusual among modern 35mm cameras in that the light meter was designed as a spot meter, without center-weighted or matrix metering options. The use of only a spot meter required some knowledge and expertise by the owner for accurate exposures. A simple camera with a mechanical shutter, the S2 featured shutter speeds up to 1/4000 second and 1/250 second flash synchronization.
In response to customer demands for an S2 with a more versatile light meter, Contax introduced the S2b in 1994, which was sold concurrently with the S2. The S2b is virtually identical to the S2 with the exception of a different external finish, and a light meter that is center-weighted to provide accurate exposure under an average range of lighting conditions. Both the S2 and S2b were discontinued by Contax in 2000.
- Body: Titanium top and bottom covers
- Type: 35mm focal plane shutter SLR
- Lens Mount: Contax/Yashica MM mount
- Shutter: Mechanical, vertical travel, metal shutter
- Shutter Speed: Manual: 1 to 1/4000 sec, B, X 1/250 sec. Self-timer: Mechanical; 10 sec delay
- Shutter release: Mechanical w/cable release socket, release lock
- Exposure: Manual exposure w/ meter
- Metering sensor: SPD cell
- Metering range: (ISO 100 f/1.4).
- S2: Spot meter EV 4 to EV 20
- S2b: Center-weighted average EV 2 to EV 20
- Film speed: ISO 12 to 6400
- Viewfinder: Fixed eye-level pentaprism finder w/ diopter adjustment and 8 optional diopter lenses
- Focusing Screen: Interchangeable, FU4: horizontal split image micro prism; with optional:
- FU3: 45 deg split image micro prism
- FU5: Matte
- FU6: Grid
- Viewfinder: 0.82x mag and 95% field of view (with 50mm at inf -1 diopter).
- Viewfinder display: LEDs for flash indicator, over/under exposure warning and shutter speeds
- Film transport: advance and rewind is manual by lever and winder
- Power: 2x 1.5V LR44 or 1.55V SR44 silver oxide batteries with battery check
- Dimensions: 134.5 x 89 x 51 mm
- Weight: 565g without battery