|This is the discussion page for Copyrights.
Needs a clarification
This page is difficult to access (only linked from the help page) and ambiguously worded. What the page currently says is that it is not allowed to display an image directly linked from another site in one of this wiki's pages. I think nobody will discuss this point.
However the wikipedia page about deep links defines a deep link as "a hyperlink that points to a specific page or image within another website, as opposed to that website's main or home page". If we must take the current sentence "Deep links are not allowed" in this sense, we have to suppress nearly any link to any page with a camera inside, and it becomes impossible to cite our web sources.
I think that we are in serious need of a policy about the links, defining how we must present them and how we can cite our web sources. --Rebollo fr 12:09, 9 June 2006 (EDT)
First, this text absolutely needs to be accessible by a link at the bottom of each page, next to the link to the GFDL. It is currently linked from the help page only, and from a warning displayed at the bottom of each editing window.
Second, here is a proposal to replace the first paragraph:
- All the text published in this wiki is copyrighted to its respective authors, whose name can be found in the revision history of each page. When they submitted their contribution, all of these authors chose to release this text under the GNU Free Documentation License.
- Permission is therefore granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this text under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no invariant sections, no front-cover texts, and no back-cover texts. A copy of the license is included in this page entitled "GNU Free Documentation License".
Third, we also absolutely need to improve the warning given under each editing box. Currently it reads:
- Please note that all contributions to this wiki are considered to be released under the GNU Free Documentation License 1.2 (see Project:Copyrights for details). If you don't want your writing to be edited mercilessly and redistributed at will, then don't submit it here.
- You are also promising us that you wrote this yourself, or copied it from a public domain or similar free resource. DO NOT SUBMIT COPYRIGHTED WORK WITHOUT PERMISSION!
I propose the following:
- By contributing to this wiki, you are granting permission to copy, distribute and/or modify your contributions under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no invariant sections, no front-cover texts, and no back-cover texts. You can find a copy of the license in this page entitled "GNU Free Documentation License", and you can refer to this Copyrights page for details. If you do not agree to release your writing under this license, then please don't submit it here.
- You are also promising us that you wrote this text yourself, or copied it from a resource which allows redistribution under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License and respected the terms of this license.
--Rebollo fr 09:51, 8 May 2008 (EDT)