|Sekonic Light Meter|
image by Voxphoto (Image rights)
Sekonic is a Japanese manufacturer of light meters, still active today (2012).
The company's roots seemingly trace back to June 1941. It was established as a stock company (kabushiki-gaisha) in June 1951 as Seikō Denki Kōgyō K.K. (成光電機工業㈱) or Seiko Electric Industries Co., Ltd., based in Toshima, Tokyo. Its first exposure meter was the Sekonic P-I.
In 1959 the company opened a new factory in Nerima, Tokyo, and created the sub-company K.K. Hachiyō Kōgaku Kōgyō (㈱八陽光学工業), with a factory in Ikeda, prefecture of Nagano, for the manufacture of exposure meters. The main company Seikō Denki Kōgyō was renamed K.K. Sekonic (㈱セコニック) in August 1960. It opened another factory in Ikeda in 1965.
As well as light meters sold under its own brand, the company also made various OEM meters, sold under different names such as Prinz and Hanimex, whilst others were built into various Japanese cameras. Sekonic also made 8mm movie cameras and projectors in the 1960s, some of which were also sold under other names like Hanimex, others under their own Sekonic and Elmatic brands.
List of products
|Column on Sekonic meters in Photo Art no.80, June 1955.|
It shows the Baby II, L-VI, L-III and L-II. (Image rights)
|Advertisement for Sekonic meters in Photo Art no.80, June 1955. It shows the L-VI, P-II, L-II, L-III and L-V. (Image rights)|
- Sekonic P-I Perfect (c.1951)
- Sekonic P-II Perfect (sold at ¥3,400 in 1955)
- Sekonic CB-I and B-I Baby
- Sekonic B-II Baby (sold at ¥1,980 in 1954–5)
- Sekonic LC-I Honest
- Sekonic LC-II Clip-On
- Sekonic L-I
- Sekonic L-II Universal (sold at ¥4,300 in 1954–5)
- Sekonic L-III Professional (sold at ¥6,800 in 1954–5)
- Sekonic L-IIIB Professional
- Sekonic L-IV
- Sekonic L-V New Professional (sold at ¥7,900 in 1955)
- Sekonic L-VI Leader (sold at ¥2,600 in 1955)
- Sekonic L-7 Baby
- Sekonic L-7B FR-Meter
- Sekonic L-8B Director
- Sekonic L-21
- Sekonic L-28A Studio S (1957-1970)
- Sekonic L-28A2 Studio S2 (1970-1976)
- Sekonic L-28C Studio Deluxe (1964-1970)
- Sekonic L-28C2 Studio Deluxe (1970-1976)
- Sekonic L-36 Leader Deluxe II
- Sekonic L-38 Auto Leader
- Sekonic L-54 Pet Polaroid-Meter
- Sekonic L-54 Pet LV-Meter
- Sekonic L-54 Pet Snap-Meter
- Sekonic L-54 Movie Pet
- Sekonic L-58 Micro Mat
- Sekonic L-78 New Movie Meter
- Sekonic L-86 Autolumi
- Sekonic L-86B Autolumi
- Sekonic L-88 Micro Light Meter (1961–63)
- Sekonic L-96 Super Micro Light (1961–64)
- Sekonic L-98 Micro-Leader (1964–78)
- Sekonic L-99 Auto Leader II
|Sekonic L-208 Twinmate|
image by Süleyman Demir (Image rights)
- Sekonic L-104S Master IV
- Sekonic L-136 Microclip-on (1962–70)
- Sekonic L-138 Micro Junior
- Sekonic L-158 Auto Lumi
- Sekonic L-164 Marine
- Sekonic L-164B Marine Meter II (1969–1978)
- Sekonic L-164C Marine Meter II (1978-1993)(1998-2002)
- Sekonic L-188 Auto-Leader (1979–2005)
- Sekonic L-208 Twinmate (2000–)
- Sekonic L-216 Autorange (1966–78)
- Sekonic L-216B Autorange
- Sekonic L-218 Apex (1967–79)
- Sekonic L-248 Multi-Lumi (1971–92)
- Sekonic L-256 Flashmeter (1972–85)
- Sekonic L-256D Flashmeter
- Sekonic L-308 Flashmate (1992–)
- Sekonic L-308B Flashmate (1994-)
- Sekonic L-308BII Flashmate(1996-2005)
- Sekonic L-308S Flashmate (2005-)
- Sekonic L-308DC DigiCineMate (2010-)
- Sekonic L-318 Digi-Light (1986–1988)
- Sekonic L-318B Digi-Light (1987–2002)
- Sekonic L-328 Digi-Light F (1988–2002)
- Sekonic L-358 Flash Master (2001–)
- Sekonic L-398 Studio Deluxe (1976-1989)
- Sekonic L-398M Studio Deluxe II (1989-2005)
- Sekonic L-398A Studio Deluxe III (2006–)
- Sekonic L-418 Autometer (1977–80)
- Sekonic L-428 System-Meter (1974–85)
|Sekonic L-358 and L-758DR Digital Master|
image by Trevor Dennis (Image rights)
- Sekonic L-448 Studio-Auto II (1981–85)
- Sekonic L-458 Digiflash (1984–89)
- Sekonic L-518 Digipro X-1 (1983–89)
- Sekonic L-718 Digi-Master (1990–2001)
- Sekonic L-206 Viewmeter (1966–76)
- Sekonic L-228 Zoom-Meter (1968–85)
- Sekonic L-408 Multimaster (1995–2002)
- Sekonic L-438 View-Spotmeter (1979–88)
- Sekonic L-488 Digi-Spot (1985–91)
- Sekonic L-508 Zoom-Master (1997–2003)
- Sekonic L-508 Cine Zoom-Master (1998–2003)
- Sekonic L-558 and L-558R Dualmaster (2003–)
- Sekonic L-558 Cine Dualmaster (2003–)
- Sekonic L-608 Superzoom-Master (2001–2004)
- Sekonic L-608 Cine Superzoom-Master (2001–2004)
- Sekonic L-758Cine Digital Master (2001-)
- Sekonic L-758D Digital Master
- Sekonic L-758DR Digital Master (2006–)
- Sekonic L-778 Dual-Spot F (1992–2002)
- Sekonic L-20B Table Light Checker
- Sekonic L-246 Lux Meter
- Sekonic L-258 Light Checker
- Sekonic i-346 Illuminometer
- Sekonic CT-II Color Meter
- Sekonic C-500 Prodigi Color
- Sekonic C-500R Prodigi Color
- Sekonic Dualmatic Zoom
- Sekonic Elmatic 8
- Sekonic Zoom 8
- Company outline in the Japanese official website.
- Chronology in the Japanese website.
- History in the English official website.
- Product list in the Sekonic official website.
- Column in Photo Art no.80, June 1955, p.103.
- Advertisement in Photo Art no.80, June 1955, p.105.
- Advertisement dated 1954 reproduced at Shashin-Bako.
- List of battery-operated exposure meters in the Sekonic official website.
- Photo Art rinji zōkan: Kamera akusesarī zensho (フォトアート臨時増刊・カメラアクセサリー全書, Photo Art special issue: All the camera accessories). June 1955, no.80 of the magazine.
- "Denki roshutsukei" (電気露出計, Electric exposure meters). Pp.102–3.
- Advertisement by Sanae Shōkai on p.105.