The Prince 16-A is a Japanese subminiature, made in the 1960s by an unknown company.
The Prince 16-A looks like contemporary 16mm subminiature models, and its name maintains confusion, but it actually takes 17.5mm rollfilm. It has an unusual 14×16mm exposure size, slightly larger than the 14×14mm format adopted by ordinary Hit-type cameras.
The camera is predominantly made of plastic, with a green main body and a black front panel. The back door is made by sheet metal, internally padded with black foam. It is hinged to the right, as seen by the photographer, and is locked by a knob placed at the left end of the body. The film is advanced by a knob at the top right, and controlled via a green window in the middle of the back. There is a small nameplate inscribed PRINCE 16–A fixed focus F:10 attached near the hinge of the back door, and a strap lug on the same side.
The camera has an eye-level viewfinder at the right end. The lens has a fixed focus and aperture, and is slightly offset to the left. There is a fake selenium meter between the lens and the viewfinder window — actually a silver-colored sticker. There is a small PRINCE nameplate on the other side of the lens. The shutter only gives Bulb and Instant settings, switched by an index placed in front of the advance knob. It is tripped by a red button placed above the fake exposure cell.
The camera sometimes comes with a zipped pouch, inscribed PRINCE 16–A.
- McKeown, James M. and Joan C. McKeown's Price Guide to Antique and Classic Cameras, 12th Edition, 2005-2006. USA, Centennial Photo Service, 2004. ISBN 0-931838-40-1 (hardcover). ISBN 0-931838-41-X (softcover). P.803.
- Pritchard, Michael and St. Denny, Douglas. Spy Cameras — A century of detective and subminiature cameras. London: Classic Collection Publications, 1993. ISBN 1-874485-00-3. Pp.80–1.
- Sugiyama, Kōichi (杉山浩一); Naoi, Hiroaki (直井浩明); Bullock, John R. The Collector's Guide to Japanese Cameras. 国産カメラ図鑑 (Kokusan kamera zukan). Tokyo: Asahi Sonorama, 1985. ISBN 4-257-03187-5. Item 5116.
The Prince 16-A is not listed in Kokusan kamera no rekishi.
- Prince 16-A at Submin.com
- Prince 16-A (text only) among 17.5mm film cameras at Subclub.org