The Kinka Roll (錦華ロール) is a Japanese 6×9cm folding camera, made by Yamamoto Shashinki Kōsakusho in 1936 and 1937.
The Kinka Roll is a vertical folding camera taking both 6×9cm and 4.5×6cm exposures. It is not self erecting and the lens standard needs to be manually pulled out after opening. It seems that the focusing is controlled by a lever placed on the right of the folding bed. There is a folding optical finder and a brilliant finder attached to the U-shaped lens standard. The advance knob is at the top right, as seen by a photographer holding the camera horizontally. The back is hinged to the left and the back latch is covered by a leather handle.
|December 1936||January 1937||April 1937|
|Advertisements for Kinka cameras in Asahi Camera. (Image rights)|
The Kinka Roll was advertised in issues of Asahi Camera dated December 1936, January and April 1937, reproduced above. The December 1936 advertisement only shows a picture of the camera, paired with a description of the Kinka C plate folder — surely by mistake. The January and April 1937 advertisements list four versions of the Kinka Roll:
- Trionar f/6.3 lens, Elka shutter (10–150), ¥30;
- Trionar f/4.5 lens, Elka shutter (10–150), ¥38;
- Tenar f/4.5 lens, Rulex A shutter (1–200), ¥50;
- Meyer f/4.5 lens, S Compur shutter (1–250), ¥95.
The case is offered separately, at ¥6. All the documents show the same picture of a camera with an Elka-C shutter and certainly a Trionar f/4.5 lens.
- ↑ Dates: advertisements listed in Kokusan kamera no rekishi, p.335.
- ↑ Advertisements in Asahi Camera December 1936, p.A58, January 1937, p.A56, and April 1937, p.A65. That dated January 1937 is also reproduced in Kokusan kamera no rekishi, p.67. On p.335, the same book mentions a further advertisement in the November 1936 issue of Asahi Camera, but no such page appears in the copy owned by Camera-wiki user Rebollo_fr.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Name inferred from the katakana トリオナー.
- ↑ Name inferred from the katakana テナー.
- Asahi Camera. Advertisements by Yamamoto Shashinki Kōsakusho:
- December 1936, p.A58;
- January 1937, p.A56;
- April 1937, p.A65.
- Asahi Camera (アサヒカメラ) editorial staff. Shōwa 10–40nen kōkoku ni miru kokusan kamera no rekishi (昭和10–40年広告にみる国産カメラの歴史, Japanese camera history as seen in advertisements, 1935–1965). Tokyo: Asahi Shinbunsha, 1994. ISBN 4-02-330312-7. Item 66.
This camera is not listed in Sugiyama.